Virtual International Visitors
Inspired by the longstanding Roberta Buffett Visiting Professorship of International Studies program, Northwestern Buffett will support faculty across the university to host virtual international visitors from around the world - global university faculty, leaders from global civil society, government or the private sector- for short virtual residencies.
These visits will afford the Northwestern community opportunities to interact with and learn from global thought leaders, and will support and strengthen Northwestern’s relationships with international collaborators, in a time of travel constraints.
Each Northwestern Buffett Virtual Visitor will be “in residence” for a condensed 2-3 day period, during which they will offer a public virtual lecture and will do some or all of the following virtually:
- Guest lecture in one or more classes
- Offer a manuscript or professionalization workshop to graduate students
- Speak with an undergraduate student group or groups
- Present a work in progress to their host department
- Meet individually with interested faculty
Proposal Considerations and Criteria
- Faculty from all schools and units may submit applications for support to receive a virtual visitor. In the application, the Northwestern faculty member should commit to, and articulate how they will take the lead on hosting their proposed visitors, should they be selected.
- A Northwestern Buffett Virtual Visitor should be:
- Non-U.S. based (though visitors from U.S. territories and indigenous communities are welcome)
- A current leader in their field, i.e. a faculty member, an activist, a current or former government official, a business or NGO leader, etc.
- Invested in and capable of speaking both to specialists and to a wider public audience
- Virtual visitorships must take place in Fall 2020, Winter 2021, or Spring 2021.
- A small committee comprised of Northwestern Buffett Faculty Advisory Council members will review and approve applications for virtual visitors. The committee will seek an equitable representation of visitors from around the globe, various fields and professionals, and diverse backgrounds.
- Honoraria of up to $2,000 each will be awarded to up to 50 virtual visitors.
- Faculty hosts will provide a short evaluation of the visitorship upon completion.
Please submit the following information through the application form -
- Name, institution, and profile of the nominee
- Description of the nominee’s suitability and potential contribution as a Northwestern Buffett Virtual Visitor, including:
- How their accomplishments and activities will benefit the Northwestern community
- How their expertise will engage faculty and students across and beyond the university
- Prospective activities for the Northwestern Buffett Virtual Visitor
- Commitment by Northwestern faculty members, departments, or programs to make the visit a success
Deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, until funds are expended.
More Collaborative Activities
Lead faculty may choose to develop a single funding application including one or more Collaborative Activities. Click to read the specific details for each opportunity.