Northwestern Buffett supports research and engagement around the globe. We have paused many of our grants while we conduct a review of our funding.
Faculty members are eligible for the following funding opportunities.
- Faculty Fellows: Fellows receive a one-course reduction to offer intellectual leadership in the development of sustained research excellence within the Buffett Institute.
- Global Partnership Funds: Supports partnerships and collaborations between Buffett-affiliated groups and foreign universities and academic research institutes.
- Working Group Proposals: Funds working groups to establish and maintain communities of scholars engaged in sustained scholarly activities around shared research interests.
- Graduate Assistantships: Northwestern Buffett is partnering with The Graduate School to offer stipend and tuition funding for
PhDand MFA students who will support the work of Global Working Groups.
- Graduate Student Conference Travel Award: Fund Northwestern
PhDstudents to present their research on international and comparative topics relevant to contemporary political, economic and social issues at a professional conference in their field.
- Graduate Student Dissertation Research Awards: Provide funding for fieldwork outside the United States for Northwestern doctoral students writing dissertations on comparative and international topics relevant to important contemporary political, economic and social issues
- Wilderness First Aid Training Grant: Sponsored by the Office of Global Safety and Security (OGSS), this grant enables graduate students to participate in wilderness first aid training. To qualify, a student’s travel must support academic goals that require remote or rural international travel.
Graduate students traveling to any international location: By accepting a Buffett award, you explicitly agree to follow all health and safety requirements as outlined by OGSS for the location(s) where you will be traveling.
We're excited to now partner with the Office of Undergraduate Research to support international research and foreign language acquisition for undergraduates. Students will apply directly through UR, and Buffett will join in the review process of applicants. Find more information about international projects on the Office of Undergraduate Research website.
We have paused these grants while we conduct a review of our funding. We are not accepting applications at this time. Learn about our current postdoctoral fellows.